Sunday, August 22, 2010

How I Spent My Summer Vacation...

Okay, I'm back. I know it's been a long time since I've posted anything to the blog, but I was busy, okay?

Busy doing what? Well, this summer found me on the road (or, more accurately, on a plane) quite a bit in the pursuit of knowledge and fun. Dorky, I know, but if you know me by now you should expect as much. My AP Psych students will be the primary beneficiaries of my wanderings, as a couple trips were dedicated specifically to psychology excitement.

For one, I was able to attend the APA-sponsored Clark University workshop for psychology teachers in late July. Not only did I get to have my picture taken with their lovely Freud statue, but I met some other great psychology teachers, toured the campus (which has a rich history concerning psychology) and got some great ideas for classroom activities.

In early August I continued by psych-related travel when I attended my first (of three) residential colloquia for my masters program. I am currently working toward a masters degree in counseling psychology, but don't ask when I'll be finished because it seems very far away to me right now. This week-long course was focused on learning clinical interviewing skills. And it was held in Florida...but don't be decieved. I didn't spend much time outdoors.

I also was able to fit in a couple of non-psych related trips. My cousin was married in Jamaica in early June and we were able to go (and spend some time on the beach). I also accompanied the Social Studies Department's history travelers on an 11-day trip to Italy in June.


All in all, it was a very eventful summer and I'm looking forward to getting back into something of a normal "routine" with the school year starting. I'm also glad to not have to go through another airport for many months.


Though, I am currently taking two grad classes and they will not be over until Sept. 17th, so my stress levels will be a little higher than normal as the school year begins. I've got a LOT of writing to do for them yet...THEN things can get back to "normal".


If you're a new psych student, welcome aboard! We have an exciting year ahead. If you are a former student and moving on to bigger and better things this year, adios and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment