- How To Get the Most Out of Studying - a great video series with practical tips for studying based on cognitive science.
- 9 Best Scientific Study Tips - (video) - short video from ASAP Science with research-supported study tips.
- Why You're Probably Studying Wrong - the study habits we are MOST drawn to actually tend to be the LEAST effective.
- 10 Principles for Effective Study - (video) research-proven approaches that help you get in the right mindset for studying
- How To Study Effectively With Flashcards (video)- Another CollegeInfoGeek video; incorporates some great cognitive science into developing effective strategies for using flashcards.
- How to Ace Your Finals (video) - Approaching college-level finals can be intimidating, and it takes a good deal of planning. Here's how to win!
Reading Your Textbook
- How to Read your Textbooks More Efficiently (video) - if you've never had to carefully read large amounts of information in a textbook before, this is a great introduction to what needs to be done.
- If you found the previous video helpful, you might also consider viewing 5 Active Reading Strategies for Textbook Assignments.
- How to Take Notes in Class: The 5 Best Methods (video) - Another good one from CollegeInfoGeek
- Should You Take Notes on Paper or Computer? (video) - This references a growing body of research suggesting that handwritten notes promote greater memory of material, which is why I don't let students take notes on laptops during class. But you might also pick up some good tips here on how to take notes from your text, as well.
Test Taking Strategies
- 10 Study and Test-Taking Tips for Earning an 'A' on Your Next Exam - (video) from CollegeInfoGeek
- Exam Technique: Run-Up To Exams (video)
- 10 Ways to Avoid Making Stupid Mistakes on Exams (video) another great one from CollegeInfoGeek.
- On a related note, Should You Change Your Answers on Multiple Choice Exams?
- Test Anxiety: How to Take on Exams Without Stress (video)
Dealing with Motivation and Procrastination Issues
- “I Don’t Feel Like It” is a Mindset for Amateurs (video)- My FAVORITE CollegeInfoGeek video of all time. Sometimes I watch this when I need a kick in the pants.
- Habitica (website) and Habit RPG (app for smart phone; uses game-style incentives to encourage productivity)
- When You Just CAN’T Get the Motivation to Study (CollegeInfoGeek video)
- To Stop Procrastinating, Start By Understanding the Emotions Involved (WSJ article)
- How to Deal with Student Burnout (video)
- Structured Procrastination: When All Else Fails (article) - I frequently use structured procrastination as a strategy, and I tend to be seen as a highly productive person. Join me!