Monday, May 16, 2011

A Long Overdue Thanks

With my end-of-the-year grading slowing down for a moment (and sure to pick up again very soon), I'd be remiss if I didn't take a moment to thank some folks for various acts of kindness over the past few weeks.



First, a big thank you to Clarissa C.-P., whose generosity helped me fulfill a life-long dream: owning my own Sigmund Freud Action Figure! While shopping at the Mall of America, this thoughtful student stumbled upon the item and was kind enough to gift it to me. Not only did this make my day, but Action Figure Sigmund will retain a place of honor in my classroom for years to come. I may have to build a special shelf for it.



Secondly, I would like to thank the anonymous friend who left me a copy of Demitri Martin's This is a Book. You obviously know my taste very well. The note inside suggested this book would "put a smile on my face," and that was exactly what happened. I had time to read it while recovering from the oral surgery I was out for a few weeks ago, and I quickly learned that I had to be careful to control my laughter because I was at risk of ripping out my many stitches. :) It was laugh-out-loud hilarious and even contained a few pithy quotes that will be useful in teaching psychology. Definitely brightened my day.



Moreover, these acts of kindness have reiterated to me the greatness of the people I am priviledged to work with every day. 2011 has been rough for me (so far) in a number of ways, but I have been so pleasantly and gratefully surprised by the support and encouragement I have received from friends, colleagues, and students throughout the mess. It seems like every time I had a day where I felt hopeless or lost, someone was always there to pick me up.


I can't thank you enough for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment