Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Sucking Up Doesn't Bring Success

In a (sort of) recent article published in the August issue of Psychological Science, researchers confirmed something we had all secretly hoped: suck-ups do worse in school than those whose professed "love of learning" is actually sincere. This was exciting to me for two reasons: I had always been irked by classmates who appeared to be buddying up to professors and teachers for no good reason (you know the type...always asking unnecessary and indirectly flattering questions, consistently insisting they find their instructor's tedious research interest FASCINATING...etc.) and it allowed me to post this remarkably cute picture of a kitten on the blog.

This research was profiled in the September 9th issue of Newsweek and is worth a look-see. Of course, I'll still graciously accept gifts and money from any of you... (just kidding, I can't really do that). But I would add that I haven't come across any research that suggests it is to your advantage to be mean to your teachers, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment